Tuesday, November 1, 2016

And the Wait is over! :)

After being an active waiting family with Bethany Christian Services since April 2014, we got the phone call we had been waiting for on October 22nd, at 11:27AM.  We were chosen by a birth family as the parents of their child.

The crazy emotions that we have been experiencing are most likely similar to the ones that they are experiencingl.  In the midst of our joy of being chosen, they are experiencing loss of their little one.  In the relief of longing that has come to an end at last, they are feeling the pain of letting go of this little one.  In the midst of our "Oh boy.  Are we ready for this?", they are experiencing the same thoughts from the other side.  However, and this is the amazingly cool part of adoption, we are BOTH feeling love for a new, little person, hope for their future, and peace in the midst of the storm that comes along with such a life changing decision.

We have been given the best present you can ever imagine.  As my niece  told me yesterday while holding her new cousin, "After my mom told me you had a baby, I kept asking myself if I were dreaming."  I too, dear niece, have been debating whether or not I am dreaming.  Trust me, we are not.  But the feelings are still as unreal as a dream seems at the time,  When I am holding my precious little one, I try to remind myself that I am wide awake.  I am treasuring all the little moments that I was beginning to doubt were coming at all.

I have always loved the verse in Luke 2:19.  After Jesus has been born, the angels and the shepherds have appeared Mary has an interesting reaction.  I burst into tears when I found out the news,"but Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart." I am truly understanding those feelings from a mother's perspective for the first time. I am treasuring up all the feelings and pondering the amazingness of them all.  And it is incredible.

2 comments:

  1. So excited and happy for all of you!!! Both of you will be amazing parents! I know the birth mother picked you but I think God picked you also! He moves the hearts of kings and he gave you favor in her eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to the new parents! How exciting! You have made me a great uncle for the fifth time. Its been a long wait since you started on this adoption journey three years ago, but now the real journey with Lilian Kay Dunham begins and will last a lifetime. May God surround her and you with his steadfast love and faithfulness, as you travel together. Keep sending those photos so that we can mark the milestones along the way.


    ReplyDelete